Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Homeward Bound

The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance volunteer came to pick up Kathy today at 6:00 a.m. He introduced himself and opened the trunk of his car. "I'm Kathy," she told him. "You don't know the half of it," I tell him. She wouldn't brag so I had better tell him. I'm standing on the curb in my robe and slippers making testimony. "Kathy canceled a trip to Ireland. She came out here in April to stay thirty days and decided to stay with us all this time. She carried my bags and washed my clothes, changed my bed, cooked my food, took care of our kids, sat through appointments, held my hand, rubbed my back, made sure I took my medicine, listened to every dribble and pip I had to say to get through this bone marrow transplant and got on her knees by the side of her bed to pray every morning when she woke. You got precious cargo here," I reported. "I'll probably weight down the plane with this suitcase," Kathy said as the driver picked up her belongings to load into the trunk. "The heft you are carrying is no suitcase but a heart of gold," I counter. Kathy settles herself in the passenger seat. She looks radiant. If air traffic control and schedules work for good, she and Gene have a plan to reunite and have the door of their home open and ready for Wednesday evening Bible study tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment