Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sisters of Glory

Susan R. sent the CD player when I lived at St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay. Deb Cook delivered the CD a few weeks ago when I moved into University of Washington Hospital, Seattle. To get down a few sips of Ensure past the razor-blade feel of the back of my throat and mouth, I have the excellent help of the Sisters of Glory. Insert beat. Can you hear it? Use it. Move body, head. Get into it. Remember those ten toes dosed by Vincristine that suffered nerve damage and don't feel a thing? Wiggle them anyway. Dancing while sitting up in a hospital bed. Now, close my eyes and listen. Listen deep and drink. Oh Lord, I'm scrambling, trying to make it through this barren land but as I go from day to day I can hear my Savior say, "Trust me child, I'll hold your hand." I'm coming up, yes I am, on the rough side of the mountain. I must hold on to God, His powerful hand, I'm going to get there. I'm coming up on the rough side of the mountain. I'm going to get there cause I hear him calling. I'm doing my best. I'm doing my best. To make it in. The electric piano rips through the chorus. I'm coming up Lord, I'm coming up Lord although my burdens sometimes pres me down but if I can only keep my faith, I'll have strength to run this race. I'm looking for my starry crown. I'm coming up on the rough side of the mountain. I must hold on to God, His powerful hand. And this old race will soon be over, then there will be no more race for me to run but I've got to stand before God's throne, all my heart aches will be gone and I'll hear my Savior say "Well done." Drinking the Ensure, it is like the little bottle has become a microphone at my lips and I'm singing but I'm really drinking it in. Little by little and my body is dancing. I'm coming up on the rough side of the mountain. I'm coming up on the rough side of the mountain. On the rough side of the mountain. On the rough side of the mountain. I'm coming up. Holding on. Holding on. I hold the bottle that has morphed into a mic in my right hand. My left hand holds the bottle cap. In my transformation, the bottle cap becomes the power cord for the mic and I'm on a stage with the Sisters of Glory, one of them right in their pack. My left hand with the bottle cap morphed into a power cord goes way over my head and I'm waving my hand in praise and that Ensure is still coming in and going down sip by sip. I'm thinking sparkling dress, high heels, no wig, and real hair. I am in hospital issue p.j.s. My body is moving and I'm alive again. On the rough side, on the rough side of the mountain. I'm coming up. I'm coming up. On the rough side, on the rough side of the mountain. I'm coming up. Lead cut. Sip, sip, sip, sip sip. Play it again. Sip. Sip. The bottle isn't empty yet. Rewind and play this cut again. Complete balanced nutrition. Immune balance 8 fluid oz. One hour of working my way through and the little bottle is not empty yet. Play Rough Side of the Mountain one more time. Sip, sip. I quit at half bottle. Screw the lid on, put the CD player away and try to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing writer. Thank you, thank you for sharing your journey with us. Helps us to pray.

    ReplyDelete